Storage Wars in real life with kids

Have you seen the show Storage Wars? Well, apparently, much of it isn't real. However, you can actually buy, at auction, the contents of a storage locker that someone has failed to pay for. I have been wanting to try it for years
Now, keep in mind, the renter gets ample opportunity to get their stuff out, so chances are the things they leave behind are worthless in their opinion.
But, sometimes there are treasures, and often enough, there is a profit to be made in the long run.
I have been researching this idea since I saw the first episode of the show. I've interviewed buyers and storage unit owners to get as much data as I could before trying out this mystery shopping adventure for myself.
I also attended a few estate auctions where I could buy a pallet for a few dollars filled with boxes of assorted goods. I found I could sell enough in my Ebay store and the rest in a yard sale to make it worth my while.
So, I watched and I waited for a storage auction near me. They are not available in bunches like you see on the show. They are usually one at a time and far between.
The first one was filled to the brim with office furniture. I could have had it for a song, but I froze in fear. I didn't bid at all. I let it go and kicked myself the whole way home realizing I could have sold the stuff right out of the locker (they give you 7 days to clean it out here) or I could have hauled it to the metal recycling (I learned later the owner did just that and made a sweet profit)
The second chance I had was a locker full of tools and that went too high for me.
Finally, the third time was the charm. I bought it cheap and got a huge locker full of stuff.
This picture was taken after two van loads of mostly garbage had been cleaned out  It was mostly clothes and I took about 6 trips to Goodwill and filled several trash cans to start. I did sell one dresser right out of the locker, so I am hopeful. I filled my van 13 times to move all the stuff, and the rest is to be seen. I did end up freecycling a couple of furniture pieces that the kids and I could not lift into the van, but most of it looks like good rummage sale material. Wish me luck.
Someday, our hard work will pay off and we will be able to spend our earnings having fun (and educational) adventures together. For now, we are learning together - business basics: the cost of the locker was more than the bid price - we had to buy a lock, 100+ garbage bags before we were done, driving expenses on the van for 13 trips (about 50cents a mile), and hopefully we can all get paid for our time when the deal is finally done. Working for yourself is awesome, but it is never easy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to can Cider to keep for the winter

The Number - How much money do you need to retire and live the life you really want? Notes from Eisenberg

Homemade Laundry Soap Directions and Tips